Saturday, November 10, 2007

The name of our carer: Contiki.

After finishing our 2 months of work at Fort William, Scotland. Moving forwards, to better things, we stayed approximately a week at Edinburgh, the beautiful captial city of Scotland - relaxing, drinking, eating out, reading - collecting ourselves after too long a time working under stressful hospitality conditions.

Its Friday (we're a day behind Australia) the 9th and we've moved to London, taking an 8 hour bus journey to get here, we're spending our last night in London before taking the Contiki tour-bus to Paris early in the morning.

We're with Brin and Chad. Two mates we met while working at the Alexandra Hotel in Fort William. As I know I have mentioned before, they're coming with us. Or we're going with them. Depends upon whether you look at the glass half-full or half-empty.

Our Eating habits since leaving the Alexandra has perhaps dropped only slightly. We're wiser now, you see. By doing the backpacker thing for the first month and a half, has given has invaluable experience and where to go to eat. Where to stay. Where to go when we're lost. Carting the backpacks around today from Picadilly to....um, well, another place in London (4 - 5 k's) with significant less pain and discomfit, its good to see that we've grown. Become more resilient, more worldy, stronger.

I remember my Dad saying to me before leaving for University in 2006 "I think we're going to see so much difference in you. Uni's going to make you stronger. You'll come back changed. But after University, when I returned home, I think the change was very subtle, perhaps dissapointing. Comparatively with this trip, I think the difference will be profound. 2007's the year Dad. Im not sure about Brad, (we all take our own inner journey), but after nearly 4 months away, moving from place to place, forcing yourself to talk to people, socially and for survival, work expeirience, knowing when to bite your tongue, there's a larger difference. A good one. A change.

Im really looking forward to home. SometimesI think of how much Im enjoying my self here and the idea of home sounds ridiculous. Scary even. But other days it seems like the best thing in the world. I think of all the friends I'm missing so much and the lack of time I have to contact each and everyone of them, even though its my time they deserve. I have best friends I havent been able to talk to since being over here. And some of my other thoughts revolve around how exactly they will all take to me when I return. It's naive to think that everyone and everything is going to be the same when I return, even though change is actually a good thing (despite how I feel about it), I wouldn't really mind if Laurieton, Camden Haven, Port MacQuarie, the Mid North Coast just went on hiatus until I returned.

5 comments:

>>>Rachel>Karen>Des>>> said...

Hey Joel, At last a new post!!!! Well, no life goes on in the little town of Laurieton and the greater Camden Haven, no pauses for us just flying along with no regard to seizing the moment. Just glad to make it thru the day most times. Off to Paris, the city of lights hope you love it. check your emails. All is well and boys spread the aussie charm.

>>>Rachel>Karen>Des>>> said...

Joely...
i love reading your writing.
i can imagine you saying every word, i miss the way you say things so different to everyone else.
it sets you apart from the crowd.
it makes me sad to know your not here and still have a month to go but I've never been prouder and more excited for you, i just wish i could of been there experiencing everything with you.
miss you, Rachel :)

Dave.Abbott said...

Certainly right. Wagga changed me in a disappointing way too. It left me bitter and cynical. While not everything thats happened in Melbourne has been good, I feel better for it. I can really relate to your thoughts on change as well.

Chrissele said...

Changes huh... Yeah 2007 for me too have marked significant changes. I hate change but mine was for the better :) Lol, I've actually just finished studying "Managing Change" this semester (it was a tough unit!).

Anyway, I too look forward to coming home! I miss home even though its just 1.5 hours away (pretty much just next door, lol).

Can't wait to be with your presence again :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Joel. I have been catching up on all of your posts recently and is about time I left a comment. You certainly do have a way with words, a way that I have always been intrigued by. We will be here, awaiting your return. I can't wait for you to share your awesome stories with us.

See you when you return Joely.

Jim