Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Well, Ive changed my flight to the 4th.

More than halfway through our Europe trip I finally find the time to blog. Im sitting in the Ibis hotel lobby of Prague, in the Czech Republic. Brad and I, opting
 for a few hours of doing 
nothing, skipping a river cruise on one of the canals of the
city, where the majority of our contiki group stuff their faces
 with a buffet lunch.

We've done alot of travelling in the past 14 days. From London, we went straight to Paris, where both of us would agree that Paris is perhaps one of the most beautiful, 
structured and amazing citys of the world.
From Paris we went to Lucerrne. A major city of Switzerland, that to our surprise, was perhaps just as beautiful as Paris. A lot smaller, but surrounded by snow capped mountains, with a running river that divides the town with crystal clear, blue tinged fresh water.

After Luccerne, we went back to France to a place called Lyon. I tried frog legs and snails. Despite what people say - I wouldnt rate them. Stick to chicken nuggets. At Barcelona, we night clubbed (despite my resistence) and actually had a pretty good time. Next it was Nice (also France). We went to what was described to us, as one of the best pubs in all of Europe. called Waynes Bar, a band started kicking, and we moved from dance floor to table, and didnt step down for another 4 hours (except to buy drinks.)

From there we went to Rome which for me was a major dissapointment. Dirty, unsafe, lots of crime, shitty hotel. Ancient Rome, which I was really looking forward too (I had 
the image of 
Gladiator in my head) was basically non-existent, and rarely seen - but always talked about. However, we ate perhaps the best pizza of my life (Square pieces not Round) and saw the pope speak from his comfortable deck-chair. Viewed the Cisteen chapel and Michaelangelos paintings. Accidently used the name of Christ in vain because I was so impressed with 
what I was seeing. Eg. "JESUS!" 
and then I'd realise what I just said, and follow it up with "GODDAMM!" which is equally just as bad.

Venice was incredible. The water in the canals is a light Green, and doesnt appear to be polluted in the same way Londons "Thames" is. There are pigeons everywhere. And thy're honestly just as bad as the rats of london. Brinn and Chad actually kicked some across the courtyard. This is one of the places in the world, where you will see hundreds of pigeons jumping on each other in the attempt to eat the seed below them, and 
where people are 
covered from head to toe in squirming pigeons, 
being photograhed by amused
parents or partners. I walked into the crowd of pigeons, amidst probably 2000 of them, and the overwhelming smell was that of wet dog.

Vienna was like a smaller Paris. Beautiful and clean. We had coffeee, trying to escape the cold. There I saw a Mozart concert with Brad and the majority of our tour. It was fantastic. A woman Opera singer performed with a voice christened by God. Vocal Acrobatics. Incredible.

Then to Munich, where we visited a Beer Hall. They serve the beers in the fmous Steins (1 litre glasses) I had three, missed the bus, and had to catch a taxi home with Will, a new mate of mine. Along the way we got distracted, and ended up walking into a Strip joint. And there...well, all I could drink was water.

From Munich, we've arrived in Prague. And the weather here is colder than Kevid Rudds sense of humour. I amlost lost toes last night. The plan tonight is to have a drink or two tonight. As Czech republic have thier own currency, it means its heaps cheaper to drink. Isntead of payin 6-9 Euros for a beer. Its only 2.

From here its Berlin, then after Berlin, Amsterdam, where the general idea is to see the infamous Red Light district and sit in one of the alternative cafes there. And then London, where Ive arranged for my flight home the very next day, and where Brad I believe is organising to stay in London before he hits up some Jobs.

We are well. A little smelly (our room smells like socks apparently,) and excited about the things to come. I look forward to seeing all of my family and friends very soon. Its an exciting prospect.

With all the love in Paris, Joel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! sounds like you hav had an awwesome time.
i cant wait to hear all about it wen u get back
enjoy urself
bree xxx

Joel said...

Hey Boys,
What a trip can't wait to see you home Joel and Brad we will miss you at the 21st but I guess you have had enough coldies with Joel to last a life time.
I didn't know your trip went to Prague and Berlin that would be awesome. See you both soon BE SAFE
Mum xxx PS don't try the cookies in Amsterdam

Chrissele said...

Hey Joel!
Finally got to drop by in this blogspot. I've been busy... The moment I came home from the end of uni semester (hoping to chill and do nothing), a job landed on my lap.

So yeah, going to be working here in Kempsey throughout the uni summer holidays. Its been busy because xmas is coming soon.

Anyway, really hopeful to come to you 21st. I promised didn't I :P

Love you lots xxx.